I would suggest anyone interested in trying out different WM or looks for
their OS, check out the unixporn subreddit on reddit.  I enjoy spending a
few minutes each day looking at the new posts.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn

Lots os i3 and posts on there to have a look to model yours after.

And here is my latest post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/comments/42pdp5/kde_my_ant_blue_desktop/

--
gs