On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:12:47 -0600
Corey Edwards <ten...@zmonkey.org> wrote:

> My understanding of AC motors is that they are always in sync with
> line frequency as a fundamental property.

Correct.

> So if you suddenly change
> the frequency, such as by switching from UPS to utility power, the
> motor will make a sudden and ungraceful adjustment, possibly
> destroying itself in the process.

Not quite. When power returns, it is often unstable in almost all its
characteristics. So a good UPS will wait until line power stabilizes,
then slowly (over the course of several seconds) synch the frequency it
is putting out to the line power. Only then will it restore line power
to the load, and start charging the battery.

How long it takes to sync the UPS power to the line power depends on
how out of phase they are when line power stabilizes. By definition, the
UPS and line power are never more than 120th of a second out of sync.

In North America, we are accustomed to power stabilizing within about
30 seconds (usually a lot less). In other parts of the world, it may
take much longer.

All of this is completely transparent to the load except for the
varying line frequency during the synchronization process.

--

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has
destroyed itself within. The essential causes of Rome's decline lay in

-- Will and Ariel Durant, III The Story of Civilization (1944) epilogue