I've seen this be a stumbling block, so I figured I'd share:

The Vanilla DevOps Git Credentials & Private Packages Cheatsheet
https://coolaj86.com/articles/vanilla-devops-git-credentials-cheatsheet/

When you have private packages (npm, gem, go, python eggs, etc)
And you want to be able to use the normal package management tools
(package.json, Gemfile, go.mod, requirements.txt, etc), or share with users
based on ACL
You need to use SSH Keys or Access Tokens that are safe to put in deploy
environment variables (Circle / Drone / Heroku / Akkeris / Docker / etc)

I listed every possible way to do that, tested each one, and determined
what appears to be a fail-proof way that I'd recommend above all other
approaches.

Hope this helps a few of you. I'm sure you will run into this at some point
if you haven't already.

AJ ONeal
https://git.coolaj86.com