So I have been tinkering with this for a few days and keep hitting issues.

Because my wife takes an absurd amount of photos, over the years we have built
an insanely large amount of data, about 800GB. Its mostly photos, movies, but
also docs, and old backups of old computers. New data gets into the QNAP NAS by
way of my iMac, i.e. I attach my wifes phone or Canon camera or USB stcik, copy
the new files into the QNAP mount on the iMac, that copy is manual by click and
drag, or if its alot of stuff I just use cp in a terminal window.

The QNAP is 2-Bay NAS with 2x2TB SATA drives in Raid 1.

I dont feel super confident with the QNAP as the sole source, so I want a
backup of the backup.

To do this, I have a home linux server with a single 2TB drive. On that linux
server I have mounted the QNAP (SMB/CIFS) at /nas  and /data is my local 2TB
drive on that server.

I want to keep things in sync without re-copying everything every time so the
plan was to use rsync to do the local copy. The first time is a big copy, then
weekly cron jobs to sync the small changes.

I was just using the command:

# rsync -av /nas/ /data/

This initially worked, I let it run overnight, when I returned, df -h showed
that about 95% of the data was copied, when I reattached to tmux these were the
last lines:

rv trip/IMG_0631.HEIC
rv trip/IMG_0632.HEIC
rv trip/IMG_0637.HEIC

sent 766,440,756,316 bytes  received 2,979,804 bytes  49,916,554.50 bytes/sec
total size is 766,321,547,494  speedup is 1.00
rsync warning: some files vanished before they could be transferred (code 24)
at main.c(1211) [sender=3.1.3]

There is about 19G missing, based on df -h and the nothing else was
reading/writing to the QNAP.

So figured, no big deal, I’ll just run rsync again and let it sync up and grab
the missing data, but now rsync bombs with an error after 30secs or so:

# rsync -av /nas/ /data/
sending incremental file list
./
rsync: fstat failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at sender.c(365) [sender=3.1.3]
rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)

Any ideas what could be going on? Is this the best way to do this? Maybe just
doing cp would be easier/cleaner, is there something better then rsync to use?
I just dont want ot have to copy 800GB everytime I sync. Maybe I use rsync in
combination with find to walk to file tree and rsync each file one by one?

-John