Don Russell;143722 Wrote:
> Being a Satellite Radio newbie... I hope this question doesn't cause too
>
> much laughter. :-)
>
> I bought a new vehicle which came with an "XM Radio".... Do XM and
> Sirius require different hardware, or is it just a matter of which
> service you subscribe to?
>
> That is, I may be willing to switching to Sirius.... but not if it
> won't
> work with my new car radio.

That's the big problem and easy car integration is probably the main
reason why some people go with XM over Sirius.  XM comes in some cars,
and Sirius comes in others.  A few manufacturers support both.  I
probably would be driving a new Acura right now if they supported
Sirius.  Apparently there are some conversion kits available that
somehow let you use Sirius on some XM cars.   I've never used any
first-hand so I'm not sure how good it works or what's involved.

But lately I've been thinking that maybe I don't even need it
integrated into the car.  Right now my Sirius stand-alone unit has some
features that I don't believe are available in any factory car systems
(pause, rewind, song/artist alerts, score alerts, etc).  I've come
accustomed to these and having an integrated system would be nice, but
I think those extra features are more important to me.  It's also nice
to be able to take my Sirius unit on my boat quickly without having to
pay for an extra subscription.

> On the other hand... since the plug in *is* open source, and I do have
> some skills in that area... maybe I should see if I can fix it... all I
>
> need now is copious quantities of free time... that's in short supply
> right now unfortunately. :-(

It's great that pretty much everything for SlimServer is open
source/gnu licensed.  It's very easy to learn by example from what's
out there and the forums here are very active and usually helpful.

If people tell me what's no longer functioning with XM in 6.5 I may be
able to offer advice on what's changed since the Sirius plugin probably
got impacted similarly.

-Greg

--
GoCubs