mplayer is mainly designed to play files and not streams and so its
handling of network errors is minimal. There was a long running bug
with Live RealAudio and it was only fixed when I tracked it down.  So
unless there is somebody who can produce the problems and track it down
- mplayer will be inferior in this regard to the vendor players.

I occassionally get the same RealAudio problems as you experienced but
in these circumstances RealPlayer behaves the same as mplayer - it
eventually collapses.

In your situation, I think you should monitor your network connectons
for errors and resets - many network errors will go unnoticed on data
streams (e.g. web, file acccess) because TCP/IP will retransmit and
recover.  With media streams these error become more apparent. If you
have significant number of errors, talk to your ISP.

--
bpa