mrmichaelwright wrote:
> Hi bpa
>
> The loss of other services seemed to happen 2 or 3 times a day.  It
> doesn't occur alongside anything else obvious but I do work almost
> entirely off dropbox dealing with large CAD and video files.  My theory
> is that the DNS demands on the homehub are too high, hence the change of
> router.
>
> A quick look at the log shows that the mysqueezebox.com error occurs
> about 8-10 times a day, including at just after midnight last night when
> other network traffic will have been very low.
>
> My server is configured with a static IP.
>
> I've upped the delay time in iplayer to 3 min and will see how that
> goes.  Most of the time the long chunk fetch times add up to about 1
> minute in total before a re-buffer occurs, maybe this is making the
> cache 'catch up' with the encoding problems that you have identified
> with systems like mine.

* Fiddling around with the BBCiPlayer plugin settings will do nothing to
solve this issue. Changing the delay time only changes when in the time
stream the plugin fetches buffer it does not change how many buffers or
timeouts - in fact it could create a more intense burst of requests.
The "delay" parameterrs is to fix a problem withgin in10 dealing with
transcoding.  No system details given but you may even be doing
transcoding so delay change would have no effect then.
* The 1.5.* changes meant that DASH stream only do one (1) DNS lookup as
long (multiple HTTP request are sent within a persistent TCP connection)
as there is a good connection to source.
* Since messages occur in the night when nothing is happening shows the
problem is systemic.
* the other application which do not show errors - have you enablde
logging on those applications or so they not show these errors to users
?

This is a systemic problem you need to tackle the problem - not the
symptoms. The BBCiPlayerplugin highlighted a problem which was already
there (i.e.  Unable to get players from SN message) by actively logging.

You need to determine is your problem (i) local to a single PC the LMS
server or (ii) does it happen for all on your LAN ?

If it affects all devices - then work on devices closer to the ISP -
router / modem etc.
If DNS on the router is the problem.  Disable the DNS server on the
router and configure using DHCP to tell device to talk to real DNS
server directly.  For a small number of PC/players this may be best
since you eliminate an extra step in processing.  If you are not using
DHCP configure PC locally to use DNS directly.
If your LAN is IPv4 only - make sure devices are not wasting time doing
IPV6 DNS lookups