bpa wrote:
> The following is an explanation why I think DNS should not be the main
> source of your issue even with your satellite links.
>
> First a general comment about SB player - When and SB player (e.g.
> Touch) plays any stream (http/MP3, http/AAC, HLS or DASH) using a local
> LMS - the DNS lookup will be done by LMS - the Touch will be told to
> play a stream from a numeric IP address.
>
> The BBCiplayer does all the data comms with BBC - the SB player willbe
> told to play a stream (i.e. again a numeric IP address) and the source
> will be the LMS server.
>
> When BBCiPlayer is playing HLS streams - a DNS lookup will happen for
> each 6 sec chunk. Whereas with DASH in 1.5.x using HTTP 1.2 (persistent
> TCP) - only one DNS lookup should happen for each live stream.  With
> yoru DNS setup I would expect more problem with HLS rather than DASH in
> 1.5.* unless replies to DASH request tale a long time.  This is why
> message in log file are important.

Oh, that's useful.  Thanks for explaining this.  You can tell I had been
worried about that.  For transport, the SATCOM link had been
out-of-circuit anyway - but the Touch's DNS resolver had been reaching a
DNS server which had resolved over the SATCOM - I've since rectified the
setting in the Touch.

> To see a 23 min delay the user will have to had pressed paused and
> waited for 23 mins - I don't think the OP has pressed pause. I think the
> jump back to a time is more likely but OP has not said anything about
> that so somehting very odd is going on possibly the time reference
> source is being messed up by satellite link.

Astute.  Indeed, haven't used pause, nor run from favourites.  But
following your post I checked the time setting on the SBS server - it's
23 or 24 minutes out.

I'm offsite tomorrow, so I won't get back to this until Friday.  I'll
have to check why it's adrift.  (It isn't the SATCOM; we've several
other servers and routers which receive their timing over the Satellite
link, and they're fine.  I think NTP must account for all sorts of
circuit media.)

I would think this accounts for the '23 mins delay' message; after
fixing I'll see if the rebuffering also starts working.  Thanks very
much for such an inspired deduction.    bpa, please don't trouble any
further just now, let me fix this, and I'll also check the logs you
asked about, and post back sometime on Friday.

I would have had no idea that the time of day setting could be critical
to music streaming.

Grateful for the help, Atlantic