mgw wrote:
> bpa - my understanding so far is that ALSA supplies the basics to use
> the sound cards. Since Ubuntu 9.10 - introduced with 8.04 - the
> preferred sound server is pulseaudio (that must be 2010 or so) for
> Ubuntu (exception: Lubuntu, which is pure ALSA).
>
> The means in our case we have a chain like this: sound source  ->
> pulseaudio  ->  ALSA driver  ->  hardware. The LMS mechanics beat me
> right now (pls excuse my ignorance here).

Again I have not had time to look at detail on your changes to
Pulseaudio.
There are no LMS mechanics. The plugin just runs two applications as a
processes connected by pipes - pulseaudio permissions not LMS is
preventing these from running. IIRC A long time ago I setup Pulseaudio
as system and daemon but then users complained that pulseaudio notes
says this was security risk so other solutions were proposed which meant
LMS was run with the same login process - these are constraints of
pulseaudio not LMS.