Hi ralphy:

ralphy wrote:
> Sounds like an issue with mmap.  Have you tried telling squeezelite not
> to use it with the -a parameter?

Unfortunately, I forgot to subscribe to this thread and thus only just
now saw your reply.  [ Meanwhile (after getting absolutely no feedback
at the DietPi forum)  I started a very extensive discussion on your
GitHub issues tracker:
https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite/issues/25  -- Unfortunately
you didn't reply there and I thought I was being completely ignored.  Ah
well.  Thanks for responding here! ]

I *think* I set mmap to off at some point -- without positive result.

[ At one point I invoked Squeezelite thussly:

/usr/bin/squeezelite -o hw:CARD=ODROIDDAC,DEV=0 -a 160:0:0:0 -n
'LR-DietPi-Squeezelite' -d all=debug -f
/var/log/squeezelite.log

would that set mmap off?  ]

In the meantime, earlier this evening (without any resolution to sound
quality issues), I wiped DietPi off the Odroid-C2 and installed a
minimal version of Ubuntu 16.04.  I attempted to install Squeezelite
manually on top of it (and failed miserably!) and then just "sudo
apt-get install squeezelite" which seems to have installed a reasonably
current version (1.8.? -- unfortunately, "squeezelite -?" doesn't show
full version #).

Anyway, with this setup I (so far) get perfectly acceptable audio from
the Odroid-C2 using RCA cables (I'll try other connections early next
week).

Fortunately, this demonstrates that the problem is not with the HiFi
Shield+ (which I was worried about) but with the DietPi implementation
of Squeezelite.  I am surprised I am the first person to have come
across this issue, and a bit disappointed that no one responded on the
DietPi forum.

I may try with DietPi again sometime to fully vet your suggestion to set
mmap to off if you tell me that I invoked it incorrectly (see above).

I help administer various Squeezeboxes
(mostly Classic / SB3 and Touch)
typically running against LMS 7.9x on LinuxMint 18 or Ubuntu 16.04