> Both DietPi and my current Ubuntu installs are *-very* minimal-.  What
> (packages?) needs to be installed to build the Squeezelite binary?  [
> Presumably "makefiles" -- anything else? ]

probably

Code:
--------------------
    libasound2-dev libflac-dev libmad0-dev libvorbis-dev libfaad-dev
libmpg123-dev liblircclient-dev build-essential libavformat-dev
--------------------

> Does Squeezelite compilation necessarily need to take place on the
> target system (this may be a -very- newbie question!)?  I do have many
> other Ubuntu-derived systems available, but none are ARM64. If those
> systems would/could work, they would be much faster at compiling the
> binary -- useful if I need to do it repeatedly for whatever reason!
It's possible (google cross compiling), but probably not worth the
hassle for one small package

> Once I have attained #1 above, what are the steps to build?

Code:
--------------------
    OPTS=" -DDSD -DFFMPEG -DLINKALL -DRESAMPLE -DIR -DVISEXPORT" make -j4
--------------------

> When installing Squeezelite (with "sudo apt-get install squeezelite"
> yesterday I noticed there were a *-huge-* number of dependencies my
> minimal system did not yet have installed:
> A lot of them were clearly related to audio, video and image playback,
> so those made sense.  However, why require
> fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core mesa-vdpau-drivers va-driver-all
> vdpau-driver-all vdpau-va-driver   ??!

A disadvantage of binary packages - they are built with maximum features
(and therefore dependencies), even if never used (eg squeezelite ->
ffmpeg -> libva -> X11 -> mesa -> vdpau -> va-driver  etc.)
If you don't need ffmpeg support in squeezelite, remove the -DFFMPEG
flag from OPTS, then you can uninstall all of the stuff.

[ extGUI4LMS - an alternative web interface: 'forum'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta))
/ 'homepage' (https://www.nexus0.net/pub/sw/extgui4lms/) | 'music
visualizer'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103073-Announce-music-visualizer-for-squeezelite)