gsalton;154641 Wrote:
> This seems to be exactly what I need - running itunes on one computer,
> squeezebox on a server (where the itunes music files are held). The
> holy grail would be having the play count / ratings tracked in
> slimserver for occasional sync with itunes. Which it seems this does.
>
> Are there more detailed instructions anywhere?
> There is some information in the included README.txt, if you have any
specific questions just ask. What I do is this:
1. I did a one time import of all iTunes rating using the TrackStat
plugin once a long time ago. This made all my iTunes ratings available
in my Linux based slimserver through TrackStat.
2. SlimServer continously logs all changed ratings and plays(play
counts) in a text file through the TrackStat plugin.
3. Occasionally I run the TrackStatiTunesUpdateWin.pl script with the
log file from step 2 as inparameter on the iTunes client computer. This
will transfer all changed play counts and ratings to iTunes.

Step 2 and 3 can also be done through the iTunes Update plugin in case
you can access the music file at the same path both on iTunes client
and slimserver server. This should be possible using a UNC path like
\\computer1\myshare\mymusic if you are running a Windows server. If you
are running a Linux server you will have to use TrackStat and set the
"MUSIC DIRECTORY (ITUNES EXPORT)" setting in TrackStat to the directory
on the iTunes client computer where the music is.

Step 1 can be done using standard slimserver iTunes plugin if you are
running the slimserver server on a Windows computer and use UNC paths,
if you are running slimserver on Linux you need to use TrackStat and
set the "MUSIC DIRECTORY (ITUNES IMPORT)" setting in TrackStat to the
directory on the slimserver server where the music is.

If you perform rating on both slimserver and iTunes the playcounts and
ratings will not be merged completely correct. If I remember correctly
it uses highest play count and last changed rating if iTunes/slimserver
data doesn't match each other for a specific track.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'