Thanks Pippin
I should have been clearer.
When I say it doesn't work I mean that you get stuttering so whatever
transcoding is supposed to be happening is being attempted by the Pi.
It's at it's worst with bitrate limiting ON but does appear to a lesser
extent even over a Wifi VPN.
I am now wondering whether even a dedicated LMS only Pi just hasn't got
the guts.
I had no such issues with my VB 2.3 and SPH so it's either Spotty or the
Pi I fear.

*Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS*
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
*Office* - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN
755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones