Lame is now installed and operating. So a bit of an update. If I connect
to LMS remotely via 4G using iPeng & VPN with bitrate limiting on I now
get better results but there are still unacceptable pauses. If I switch
to the old VB2.3 there isn't any problem. I think I may have hit a
limitation of a Pi3 as LMS server. I shall continue to tweak and if I
can get acceptable results I shall post back.

Did you ever check your Pi's load using top? Imho it should have enough oomph to handle transcoding. After all it has four cores. Enough to assign each to LMS, Spotty, and lame.

--

Michael