kidstypike wrote:

> I'm not sure why you say it would be simpler and better to attach a hard
> drive to your pi, if your music is already on a NAS, then why not use
> that?

If you have a NAS then definitely you should use that with a Pi -
especially if you have a 2 drive NAS offering Raid 1.
If you use a HD attached to the Pi you will probably need a powered USB
hub and the Samba support in piCorePlayer is limited so management is
far easier via a NAS.
Just make sure that your NAS & Pi are both wired and both have static IP
addresses.
Backup (you do backup your music files don't you?) is also going to be
far easier with a NAS.

The setup with piCorePlayer is just a case of installing the extra file
system tools and then mounting the appropriate share on the NAS via NFS
or CIFS/SMB from within the LMS tab on the piCorePlayer.
The only caveat is that you need the NAS to be fully up and operational
before you boot or reboot the Pi otherwise it won't see the share.

*Pi3 with piCoreplayer music on QNAP TS419p via NFS*
iThingys/iPeng/Tablets/Jogglers
*Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s
*Office* - Pi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN
755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom *Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones