Thanks for the advice.  When I look at Settings/Information, I see three
plugin folders listed: /config/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins,
/usr/sbin/Plugins, /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Plugins.

My target LMS instance is a docker container.  There is an external data
store outside the container that persists between restarts.  In that
data store I saw the Spotty plugin and assumed I could follow suit.
I'll have to do some more noodling to find out how to attempt to push
something in.

If I have the old plugin fully deployed in an old LMS instance, is there
a way to turn in back in to the right kind of zip file?  Is it as easy
as just zipping the directory structure?  I can spoof a repository on a
local server and try fooling my target LMS instance in to loading it
(and hopefully respecting the docker container rules that will allow it
to remain past restarts).  I was just hoping there was a recipe book
somewhere that showed how the plugin magic worked.