This isn't a solution to sleeping the Mac from the login screen,
but....

I was thinking about Sleep/Wake last night and this might be able to
achieve the same/similar goal.

If you set Energy Saver to put the machine to sleep after a specific
amount of time, it should perform this function even when you're not
logged in.

The issue that now come sup is that it will also put your machine to
sleep as it's serving music. :)

So the specific thing I was thinking about last night which got me onto
this topic, and which I hope someone can answer, is whether or not
sending a Magic Packet on a regular interval will keep the machine
awake?  That would be something that would have to be present in the
Squeezebox's firmware but which I thought would be a cool addition if
it works.

In terms of user-generated plugins, it should be possible to write
something that keeps the machine awake while it's playing music.  This
way when the music stops you can have the machine go to sleep all by
itself.  When the SB is reactivated it will wake the server and you're
back in business.

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno
*'Twisted Melon - Fine Mac OS Software' (http://twistedmelon.com) |
'mira - Personal Control for your Apple Remote'
(http://twistedmelon.com)*