GoCubs;130786 Wrote:
> Not sure the best forum to post this...
>
> I'm tossing around the idea of making a Yahoo Music plugin.  However,
> before I go trying to figure out exactly how their backend works I was
> wondering if anyone knows or has seen anything.
>
> With the Sirius plugin I basically simulate the login/cookie process on
> their web site as well as how to get a URL for a station and then I pass
> that URL to SlimServer to play.
>
> With Yahoo it seems like each song is sent one at a time with the
> client requesting a new song once the previous ends.  Is Windows Media
> Player simply being given a temp URL for that song, or is something
> more fancy going on?  I know Yahoo uses DRM for thier music unlimited
> service, does this also apply to their LaunchCast stations?
>
> I'd guess that since the songs are being sent individually and at a
> better quality that there probably is something more going on to
> prevent people from ripping them, but I just thought I'd ask before
> investing any time.
>
> Anyone know?  I couldn't find anything on Google or these forums.
>
> Thanks
> -Greg

Hi Greg, I saw this post a while ago and was wondering about this
integration work with Yahoo LaunchCast.   Have you decided to give it a
shot?   I certainly hope so and would totally appreciate this ability to
play LaunchCast.    I am a LaunchCast Plus subscriber(no commercials),
with rather eclectic tastes.    Of the services I have sampled, Yahoo
LaunchCast has a rather deep collection(comparitively, much larger than
Yahoo Music Unlimmited download service).   What is particularly
appealing to me is that if you use the Yahoo Jukebox(aka Music Engine),
the streaming quality is unmatched across the library(I think ~190Kbps).
Plus it is economical at < $3 month.

If you use the web interface for LaunchCast, even for subscribers, the
quality drops to a lower streaming rate(sounds like around 128Kb, but
unsure exactly).

A key feature for me would be to get this higher--fidelity stream
authenticated through a plugin of somekind, and streaming through the
SB.   Then, a plus would be to integrate the browse buttom with the
station playlists, defaulting perhaps to the personal-station.

Happy New Year and good Listening!

--
jt25741

SB3->AR Masters Coax -> PS Audio DLIII -> Cardas Golden Cross -> Sim
Audio P5 -> Cardas Golden Reference -> Sim Audio W5 -> PS Audio Xtreme
Plus(Low) AQCV4(mid/hi)-> Magnepan 3.6R