I think I know the answer to this, but want to check. I followed this
tutorial (thanks) and got everything set up and working. However, my
.mp3s were tagged using version 1.9b in Windows and it appears that the
Linux server (1.8) doesn't recognize the tags. It found all of the files
but reports that they all need to be verified.

I went back and tagged a few of them with 1.8 in Windows and the Linux
server then recognizes them as tagged.

I saw the warning not to edit the default.m3lib file with 1.9b because
it would alter the library. But is it also the case that the tags
between version 1.8 and 1.9b are different in a way the the older
version won't read the tags made with the newer one?

Thanks.