I'm still trying to track down why the discovery of my devices comes and
goes at what it seems random intervals. As I've mentioned before it
almost always helps to restart the server. This time however a restart
didn't help. I'm not sure if it is of interest, but in the log to me it
seems that after the restart this time it disables discovery explicitly.

Here's what you could do: when things are working, fire up the task manager and take a note of the spotty.exe's PIDs. When issues start, repeat and compare. If the PIDs have changed, then likely it had crashed in between, which can obviously cause it to disappear from your phone etc.

The other thing I've seen reported before is that wiping the Spotify app's cache did help (on the phone, not in LMS).
--

Michael