You don't say which VPN you are using.  Full iunformation always helps.

I found the following post on the Max2play user forum
https://www.max2play.com/en/forums/search/vpn/

There may not be an ready VPN solution for Max2Play.  There is a mixture
of english and german messages but a relevant one from moderator in Aug
2017 is

> Unfortunately, we do not have a DNS or VPN solution for Max2Play
> currently.
>
> However, you can check out the slimdevices forums and ask their
> community for some solutions with the LMS:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/

Thiere are other posts -  users still wanting OpenVPN support in Dec
2017.