OK I got it to work, kind of

If I issue the command in terminal
Code:
--------------------
    systemctl start mmserver.service
--------------------

and then restart LMS I can create MusicIP Playlists.

This is inconvenient and awkward and I don't think of much value. I
think the issue is the response to the command to enable mmserver

Code:
--------------------
    $ systemctl enable mmserver.service
  mmserver.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install.
  Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable mmserver
  update-rc.d: error: mmserver Default-Start contains no runlevels, aborting.

--------------------

It may not be possible to run MusicIP on 18.04 or at least with my
limited knowledge of Linux. Hopefully someone will figure this out.
Thanks for your guidance

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1518987734 @ Sun Feb 18 22:55:43
CET 2018
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8               Platform
Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm
4.1 speakers
SB Classic connected by Ethernet to FX Audio D802C amp and Sinclair
bookshelf speakers
Two SB Radios wireless