Phil Meyer;171062 Wrote:
> 1. I had trouble creating a standard library to start with.  This is I
> think due to various issues with special characters in file names and
> directory paths.  I think it doesn't like spaces in the library
> filename.  I think it doesn't like apostrophies in directory paths.I should
> have thought about this, it has been problem in almost every of
my plugin. I will try to fix it for the next release.

Phil Meyer;171062 Wrote:
> 3. Will refreshing libraries be quick, or should there be some progress
> indicator?I think it will be pretty quick, I tried it on my test database with
40000 tracks and it took maybe 3-4 seconds. If people are getting
problem with long refresh times, I will change it so it is executed in
the background with some sort of status indicator.

Phil Meyer;171062 Wrote:
> 4. I was anticipating a "Libraries" menu alongside Custom Browse, and
> within that a list of the configured libraries that are visible to the
> current player, rather than adding the libraries directly within Custom
> Browse.This is probably a matter of taste so it might be a good idea to have
some more options. Adding an extra "Libraries" part at the top of the
hierarchy wouldn't be a problem, might be a good idea to have this
configurable as a parameter when you define the libraries. Inside or
outside custom browse is probably a matter of taste. Some people have
created a custom key map for slimserver that connects the "Browse"
button on the remote to the Custom Browse menu, these would probably
like to have the menu inside Custom Browse. Other people are seeing
Custom Browse as just an extra method for browsing besides the
slimserver standard browsing methods, these would probably like
"Libraries" menu on the top. You can move the current menus to the top
from inside the "Enable/Disable menus/mixers " link in the Custom
Browse web interface.

I also have an idea that it should be an alternative to just have  a
flat menu structure with Albums, Artists, Genres (and the rest) and
selecting which tracks that should be shown in them by activating a
specific library.

Phil Meyer;171062 Wrote:
> 5. I was anticipating a way of configuring many different custom browse
> methods, and then being able to select the custom browse methods to add
> to each library, such that each library acts like custom browse.  Add a
> new way of browsing music in custom browse, and it would immediately be
> available to all sub-libraries.  ie. custom browse would be like a
> library that includes all music.  At the moment, I believe I have to
> create a set of custom browse menus for each library (although some
> builtin ones are generated automatically).You have understand correctly how
> it works today. The idea is that the
current solution will probably be good enough for most people since you
get all the standard slimserver ways of browsing the music for each
library, plus some extra methods. It will be a bit more work for people
which have a lot of different libraries since the extra menus needs to
setup for each library, but I imagine this is something you do once and
it isn't changed so often so its probably not a big issue. I also think
its a good idea to make it possible to have a different set of sub
menus for each library. This way it is possible to make a simplified
browsing for some family members, with just a few menus in their
library, and a still make more advanced browsing methods available for
other family members with a lot of menus.

Phil Meyer;171062 Wrote:
> 6. What effect does activating a library have in the Multi Library web
> interface?At the moment it only activate the skipping of tracks in the Custom
> Skip
plugin if you have setup a "Not Active Library" skip filter. You can
also activate a library with the remote from the Plugins/Multi Library
menu.

The idea is that one library will always be activated/selected, the
first library you create should be activated automatically and you can
change to another one manually. At the moment it only affects the
skipping as described above but I have some future ideas to make stuff
like the following possible:
- Having a setup with standard menus at the top like "Albums",
"Artists", "Genres". By activating a specific library you select which
tracks that should be shown in these menus.
- Possibility to execute other type of actions when activating a
library, for example changing user in the SlimScrobbler plugin to
select the user on which tracks are submitted to LastFM.

Phil Meyer;171064 Wrote:
> I have configured a library called "Surround Sound".  This is configured
> to only be available on my Squeezebox in the lounge, as other players
> would just play static.
>
> I can see that when I select the Lounge player, the Surround Sound
> library is ghosted in the web UI (after refreshing the page), so the
> restriction seems to have been picked up here.
>
> I thought that this would restrict the library from appearing in Custom
> Browse, but it is visible.  I see that I can configure each browse
> method that has been created for the Surround Sound library, so that
> the browse method is restricted to certain players.It works for me, but I had
> to also push the "Refresh" link in the bottom
of the Custom Browse page. Does this work for you also or do you still
see the menu after you have refreshed Custom Browse ?

If the refresh is the problem I'll check if it is possible to do this
automatically. Today you will need to press refresh every time you
change something in the library before it takes effect in Custom
Browse. It will take effect earlier sometimes because  Custom Browse
does refresh by it self in some situations.

Phil Meyer;171069 Wrote:
> >I thought that this would restrict the library from appearing in Custom
> Browse, but it is visible.  I see that I can configure each browse
> method that has been created for the Surround Sound library, so that
> the browse method is restricted to certain players.
> >
> Hmm, after adding a restriction to Surround Sound/Albums, such that it
> would only appear on the Lounge player, the whole Surround Sound
> library is unavailable for the Lounge player.

Check if the Custom Browse refresh solves the problem. If you edit the
menus in Custom Browse you should see exactly which setting that is
used for the include/exclude player options for each menu.

Phil Meyer;171069 Wrote:
> I can't delete the Surround Sound/* menus.  I don't really need some of
> them, eg. Surround Sound/Decades, as I only have a handfull of surround
> sound albums available in the library, so would never browse this
> library by decades.  I can modify the menu, and then get a delete
> option, but that just resets it back to the builtin version.Builtin menus
> can't be deleted, the current way to get rid of them is to
hide them using the "Enable/Disable menus/mixers" link in Custom
Browse.

It might be a good idea to have a similar setting for the Multi Library
plugin to make it possible to select which menus it should create as
"builtin" menus.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate the feedback.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
(Developer of TrackStat, SQLPlayList, DynamicPlayList, Custom Browse,
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and RandomPlayList plugins)