rgdawson wrote:
> So, I am working on adding the ability to mute player.  I'm
> experimenting with a couple approaches and I have a question for you.
> When you wish to mute the player, what is preferable about muting vs
> pausing?  Right now, I have muting working in the tray menu and it will
> indicate whether the player is muted via a check mark.  This means that
> I must update the tray menu indicator whenever a new player is selected,
> on startup, or even if the player gets muted from another computer.  I
> have it working, but then I asked myself, why not just do pause?
>
> R Greg Dawson

Well, here's a weird example for you: Radio Paradise. With most internet
radio, including for example the Radio Paradise 320kbps stream, Pause is
usually the same Stop or Off, and when you turn it on again you'll pick
up the stream again wherever it is in real time. But in the case of the
Radio Paradise FLAC streams, which are downloaded in 30-minute blocks,
pausing and restarting them often results in unexpected behavior.

It may stay in the same block of tracks, it may play a new block with a
different theme, or it may fail to start from the Play button and I have
to relaunch it from My Apps. I suppose this depends on how long you have
it paused and other factors, but I haven't spent much time thinking
about how it works. When listening to RP I usually just turn down the
volume or remove my headphones when I get a phone call, wishing I had a
mute button.

LMS: SGC microJukebox • Players: Duet, Touch (two), ultraRendu, Mac
SqueezePlay, Win Squeezelite-X • Control apps: Android Squeezer, Win
Squeezelite-X