rmariger;181384 Wrote:
> (1)  Question:  I have successfully set up a menu using
> customscan/custombrowse that narrows from Artistlist to
> Artist/Albumlist to Artist/Album/Conductorlist to
> Artist/Album/Conductor/Songlist.  That is a four-step narrowing of
> songs.
>
> After narrowing songs in this manner, I’d like to be able to click on a
> song from step 4 and get a CDlist (I have a tag called “CD” and in my
> case only one CD would match a particular Artist/Album/Conductor/Song),
> and then click on a CD (the only CD in my case) to get a songlist.  That
> is, the final two steps would be  Artist/Album/Conductor/Song/CDlist and
> Artist/Album/Conductor/Song/CD/songlist.
>
> Is this possible?  I think it would be very useful for classical
> collections.  Most people advocate organizing classical by works rather
> than CDs.  For example, I have a CD that includes Beethoven’s 4th and
> 5th symphonies with conductor Ferencsik.  I have divided the CD into
> two albums, one for the 4th and one for the 5th.  However, I’m thinking
> there will be instances when I want to play the CD in its entirety.  I
> might narrow down to the songs in Beethoven’s 5th conducted by
> Ferenscik and at that point wonder what CD it is from.  I could then
> click on any of the 4 songs (movements) of the 5th and have the CD
> revealed.  And if I want to play the CD, I could then click on the CD
> to get all the songs on the CD.
> It is not possible with the predefined menu types, but if you choose to
customize the menu XML you can do it already today. The configuration
XML is a bit cryptical so it might not be easy to do.

The real solution here would be to make it possible to add custom tag
in the track details part of the menu. This way it would also be
possible to right click in the "Now Playing" menu to get the CD of the
currently playing track and right click again to the all tracks on the
CD. I have this on the todo list and my intention is to try to
implement it, I just have to find some time to do the work.
rmariger;181384 Wrote:

> 2. Suggestion:  With regard to 4-step narrowing of songs referred to
> above, the conductorlist does not include “none.”  Would it be possible
> to include a “none" category for each customtag?  This would be helpful
> for identifying missing tags.I think it can be done already today by
> customizing the menu XML, but I
think this might actually be useful to have in the default "Custom
Multiple Tags Songs" template so I'll add it to the wish list.

rmariger;181384 Wrote:
> 3. Suggestion:  It might be helpful to point out that the 4-step
> narrowing scheme I alluded to above requires that artist, album, and
> conductor be included in the list of custom tags to be scanned by
> customscan.  I initially assumed that because the standard slimserver
> software scans artist and album, it wasn’t necessary to specify them as
> custom tags.It is possible to use the standard slimserver information, but the
current menu template for "Custom Multiple Tags Songs" doesn't do it. I
think it might be a good idea to have a menu template like:
Artists/Albums/<customtag>/Songs
I'll add this to the wish list.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.homeip.net) 'My download page'
(http://erland.homeip.net/download)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library and RandomPlayList plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.homeip.net/index.php/Category:SlimServer))