Ron F. wrote:
> I have been using the UPnPBridge plugin for a few days, streaming to the
> Android app BubbleUPnP, and I now have a question regarding how to
> configure my server's firewall.
>
> My home server, running LMS is using iptables for it's firewall,
> configured using ufw. I try to keep the machine locked down fairly
> tight. I have found however that after a reboot, that I have to disable
> the firewall for a while, in order for LMS to be successfully notified
> of the presence of the UPnP rendering point on my phone. I believe this
> is because squeeze2upnp is broadcasting SSDP M-SEARCH packets using
> destination port 1900, but the server's source port is chosen randomly,
> and changes on every reboot of the server. The rendering point, (in my
> case BubbleUPnP,) responds using as it's destination, the server's
> source port, not 1900! Since I don't know what that port is going to be,
> I have come to the conclusion, possibly incorrectly, that I have to
> either drop the firewall for LMS to learn about the rendering point, or
> accept all UDP packets that come from my phone, neither solution seems
> acceptable.
>
> It might be possible that a different firewall could do some kind of
> stateful packet inspection on UDP packets, and take care of this kind of
> issue - I don't know. It exceeds my knowledge concerning server
> security.
>
> So, question: is it possible to get squeeze2upnp to use a fixed source
> UDP port number on every use for sending SSDP M-SEARCH packets, a
> configurable port number that I can choose?
I use gufw.  If you look at the log it can produce you can see what gets
blocked.  I found I had to allow a range of high-numbered (5 digit)
ports from my UPnP devices. Not ideal, but the best I could do.

LMS 7.9.2 on PC, Xubuntu 18.04, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps.  2
Touchs & EDO.
LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz
CR603 UPnP renderers.
Also Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
Wireless Xubuntu 18.04 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.