PasTim wrote:
> I got it working, but quite a lot of effort and googling was needed.
> I'm not sure this is really the thread for the details of this.  I could
> PM you if you wish.  Briefly:
> - sudo install ipset xtables-addons-source iptables-persistent
> netfilter-persistent
> - sudo module-assistant auto-install xtables-addons
> - create a service for ipset so as to be able to makes the settings
> persistent - see
> https://selivan.github.io/2018/07/27/ipset-save-with-ufw-and-iptables-persistent-and.html
> , and enable the service
> - add firewall rules (I use gufw) for ports 49152:49158 tcp for my
> network (nnn.nnn.nnn.0/24) (a range - I need several for my different
> upnp services) - these are needed to play music (not to detect players)
> - sudo ipset create upnp hash:ip,port timeout 3
> - sudo ipset save > /etc/iptables/ipset (but I had to list the rule and
> edit it manually)
>
> Then, on my ubuntu 18.04 system (but others may be different)
> - sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 4 -d 239.255.255.250/32 -p udp -m udp --dport
> 1900 -j SET --add-set upnp src,src --exist
> - sudo iptables -I INPUT 4 -p udp -m set --match-set upnp dst,dst -j
> ACCEPT
>
> I used rule 4, this is between ufw rules on OUTPUT and INPUT that seemed
> appropriate (using sudo iptables -L OUTPUT and so on).  Using -A did not
> work for me.
> Once all working save iptables to be persistent over reboots:
> - sudo netfilter-persistent save
>
> I thinks that's it, but I may have missed something.  Whether the
> firewall still works properly for everything else I still need to
> double-check.

PasTim ... You are the man! The key was moving the OUTPUT rule to
position #4. No question; there is an interaction/conflict between the
rules ufw had originally created, and these new rules for temporarily
allowing UPnP SSDP Notify messages to get back in during device
discovery.

*Living Room:* SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU >
VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans
cables > B&W 804 speakers
*Laptop:* System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite + Material Skin >
ifi USB iSilencer > Audirect Beam DAC > Senn IE 80 earbuds
*Bedroom:* Android Phone + SB Player + Squeeze Ctrl > Bluetooth > Bose
SoundLink Revolve
*Server:* Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.2
*Music:* Personal FLAC, Radio Paradise FLAC, Qobuz, Spotify