First I feel I am no geting consistent information. Have you been
plugging disk in / out of your system while various test runs have been
done ?
Summarising the result of cdda2wav v2 & v3 supposed on same system and I
assumed identical setup

Code:
--------------------

  cdda2wav V3 - Adminstrator
  0,0,0     0) 'Multiple' 'Card  Reader    ' '1.00' Removable Disk
  1,0,0   100) 'Seagate ' 'BUP BK          ' '0304' Disk
  2,0,0   200) 'Seagate ' 'Backup+  Desk   ' '040B' Disk
  3,0,0   300) 'Seagate ' 'Backup+  Desk   ' '040B' Disk
  4,0,0   400) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD+-RW GHB0N   ' 'A1C0' Removable CD-ROM
  5,0,0   500) 'Seagate ' 'BUP Portable    ' '1707' Disk

  cdda2wav v2 - from LMS running as Adminstrator

  0,0,0     0) 'Multiple' 'Card  Reader    ' '1.00' Removable Disk
  0,1,0     1) 'ST1000DM' '003-1ER162      ' 'CC45' Disk
  0,4,0     4) 'ST315005' '41AS            ' 'CC34' Disk
  1,0,0   100) 'NVMe    ' 'Micron 2200S NVM' '1030' Disk
  15,0,0  1500) 'Seagate ' 'BUP Portable    ' '1707' Disk
  16,0,0  1600) 'Seagate ' 'BUP BK          ' '0304' Disk
  17,0,0  1700) 'Seagate ' 'Backup+  Desk   ' '040B' Disk

--------------------

There is some commonality but there are extra drives such as Micron
22000S in one scan and not in another while the V2 has 17 "usb"
controllers vs 5 with V3 - are there USB hubs or something being plugged
in/out.

Has the hardware configuration changed while running tests ?
There is no point in trying to identify a hardware issue if hardware is
being changed.

I have managed to get my system to see my USB CDrom drive and I think
the fundamental issue is presence of other external USB mass storage
devices and not s/w version or adminstrator privileges.

cdda2wav V3 (from cdrfte) sort of works as is with CDplayer plugin (i.e.
get table of ccontents, CD name,  tracks) but I couldn't get it to play
reliably - it may play one track and then stop - it seems to be stuck at
Windows level.  cdda2wav v2 played tracks etc OK from my external USB
drive so I see no reason to change from cdda2wav.

cdda2wav is a Linux application  developed in *1998* when PCs CDROM
drive were attached using either ATAPI or SCSI hardware interfaces. So
20 years later, we are using this same piece of software when the PC bus
technology is now PCIe, SATA and USB 3.1 .  The application uses cygwin
to do Linux-Windows and other compatibility libraries to "map" USB onto
SCSI as USB1 had similar functionality & topology.    The compatibility
is a translation and it is never a one-to-one match.  It is further
complicated by the fact that PC hardware has changed and now bus
interface are usually layered within PC (i.e. USB2 ports feed into
USB3.1 controllers)  and also with Windows s/w (drives are mapped with a
hidden layer of hierarchy).

I think the following is the root of the problem. The result of this
mess of multiple compatibility/mapping layers is that external USB
drives are mapped into what cdda2wav sees as addresses such as 0,0,0 -
Windows can handle multiple 0,0,0 devices as it has an internal
additional level to separate them but cdda2av cannot.  If you have
multiple USB Mass storage devices attached to your system which want
same address - you will bump up against the cdda2wav limitation.

My initial feeling is the Device -"'Multiple' 'Card  Reader    ' '1.00'
Removable Disk"- is taking the 0,0,0 that your external USB CDrom drive
would like.
I think you'll only be able to use an external USB CDrom drive if there
are not other USB mass storage devices attached.
This theory can only be checked by you testing on your system running
"cdda2wav -scanbus" many time with various USB devices combinations
plugged in/out and seeing which devices hog the USB bus and result in
other devices being hidden from cdda2wav (although visible to Windows
10)