After a few days of tinkering, I have succesfully changed
custom-convert.conf (under Spotty) and added some bash
scripts+deezloader to play Deezer HiFi Tracks instead of spotify ones.

I'm not sure if I can share that here, as deezloader isn't using the API
but rather a hacked way of accessing the Deezer web interface.  I do
have a valid Deezer HiFi account though.

One thing I still don't understand in custom-convert.conf:

> spt pcm * *
>       # RT:{START=--start-position %s}
>       [spotty] -n Squeezebox -c "$CACHE$" --single-track $URL$ --bitrate 320
> --disable-discovery --disable-audio-cache $START$

* %s is a valid variable and get put in $START$ to transfer to the
spotty binary
* $URL$ and $CACHE$ are passed through somehow

I replace [spotty] by [deez] $CACHE$ $URL$ $START$  which is a bash
script.

I see the URL being passed, I can parse it and stream the deezer track,
no problem
I can see the start parameter also, so I can start the track half way,
absolutely no problem
However, $CACHE$ never gets passed to the bash parameters, always empty.
This doesn't allow me to fall back to the spotty binary when the track
doesn't exist on Deezer, because I get, of course, "credentials
missing"

can't seem to solve this issue.

I'm a bit sad I don't have the knowledge to write a full, new plugin for
Deezer, as what I have achieved already shows that it's perfectly
possible to play Deezer HiFi tracks in LMS.