Aha!  I have a massive clue....

Note that the following is true whether using my RPi4 server or the
Windows PC LMS I just set up to experiment on.

If I have the webui open, the SB3 displays the information.  The webui
is causing it to be fetched and the SB3 then shows it.
As soon as I close the webui, it's broken again when I select a new
station.

Normally the SB3 is the only thing connected.  I navigate using its
menus not via phone/tablet/PC etc, so there is no webui open for me.  It
used to work although I have not used it much recently so I can't say
when it broke.

If you have a boom I would expect the same behaviour (if it is the only
thing connected at the time).