The only protocol I've got to work on the LMS side that actively sends
out messages on player power state (rather than requiring polling) is
the, now ancient, xPL plugin.  I still use this, but run a small python
2.7 bridge app that converts the xPL power states to MQTT.  I've always
thought it would be a useful exercise to take the xPL plugin and
refactor it to use MQTT, so creating a native LMS MQTT plugin.
Unfortunately I've never felt confident enough with Perl to start. The
python app is MQTT-xPL-bridge from Steve Rodger's github repository
hwstar. This has worked reliably for me for some years now, except that
power off state is not sent when a player powers off automatically
following the expiry of an alarm-clock event.

I'll accept that this route is both convoluted and niche, but if you do
want to try it feel free to ping me for assistance - I still have some
notes somewhere on the basic install process.

Cheers

Chris