I did in fact enable debug for server.plugins, and I also ticked the
checkbox "Save logging settings for use at next application restart". I
still have never received any kind of message about where it put a copy
of the file

Correct. Because according to the file you sent this time the download was correct.

It still didn't install though, because for whatever reason there's still an instance of spotty.exe running. Either use taskmanager to kill them all before restarting LMS, or simply reboot your machine. That should fix things.

--

Michael