TomS wrote:
> v2.7.16 from windows store.
>
> I seem to have a "stuck" tray icon entry which won't go away.
>
> After every reboot, my setting to show the squeezelite-x tray icon in
> the system tray seems to have been changed to not be displayed, and when
> I go to reset it, I always see a second squeezelite entry listed (and
> turned on, but it is not the 'active' one, it seems like a phantom and
> it doesn't even show up in the tray).
>
> I did a reset but not an uninstall/install, which I could do if you
> think it'd fix it.
>
> In the pic below, I have turned off the ghost and turned on the active
> one, but when I originally opened this menu the toggles were reversed
> (and no tray icon displayed since the ghost is not real).
>
> Thanks,
>
> TomS
> 33580

I assume you are showing me the "Select which icons appear on the
taskbar" area from Taskbar Settings?  On/Off here controls whether the
_tray_icon_ appears on the taskbar or stays in the non-visible area of
the tray icons.  (Btw, as an alternative to going into settings and
using the toggles, you can just drag a tray icon from taskbar to hidden
area or vice-versa.)

Windows seems to remember any application that has ever created tray
icon and remembers where you want it to appear, either on the taskbar or
in hidden area.  I'm thinking that you have run both the traditional
installer version and the Windows Store version in the past, so windows
is remembering (caching) both.  I guess Windows distinguishes according
to exe filename.

It seems once you run an application that creates a tray icon, Windows
remembers it forever.  Even after you uninstall it.  I see this with
both the store/appx version and non-store version and even dev versions
on my machine.  Presumably there would be a way to remove it on
uninstall, but I have not found it.  Upon reading your message, I went
in and looked and I saw all sorts of obsolete apps in that list on my
machine.

The only solution I have for you, which I tried and it worked, is a
utility called "Notification Area Cleaner".  It is an exe that runs a
script to delete those obsolete cached entries.  I tried doing it
manually but that does not work because for it to work explorer.exe must
be temporarily terminated, then restarted - else the cache does not
really get removed.

I downloaded the utility from CNET.  If you google "Notification Area
Cleaner" you should find it.  There are different versions for
32-bit/64-bit OC version so download accordingly.  For Windows 10, I
used "run as administrator", then pressed the Clean button.  It worked
fine.  The version I used said "for Windows 7", but worked fine on
Windows 10.

Hope that helps.

R Greg Dawson

Squeezelite-X