I found the commands on the net,probably via the lirc page, and I have
the default delay set.

It might work when holding the button down (I can check), I just don't
use it that way. The Denon amp seems to accelerate the volume changes
the longer you hold the button and it can easily get out of control!

I rarely do this because I normally use a Pronto that controls
everything, so my normal use case for the IRBlaster is to change the
volume from the web interface (using the test buttons on the IRBlaster
settings page) when I'm in another room!

James