I just spoke with Felix in email about a similar problem. And also an
apparently faulty conf file I downloaded.

IR commands for most devices are made up of a lead-in, a one-time
pattern, a repeat pattern and a lead-out (and delay). When you press a
remote button one time you get a sequence exactly as I mentioned.
Different remote protocols will repeat the repeat segment different
number of times for a single press as redundancy. Some protocols repeat
segments are the same as their one-time others are drastically different
(different is more common).

When a remote button is held down on an original remote, you would get
the lead in, the one-time sequence and then the repeat sequence would
repeat as long as you held the button.

A full command sequence may look like this:

abcdxyxyxy

Where abcd is the one-time and "xy" is the repeat sequence.

When such a command is recorded as "RAW" it will look like the above.
However, repeating that raw would produce:

abcdxyxyxyabcdxyxyxyabcdxyxyxy

Which will most definitely screw up many devices. They will not see
this as a properly repeating command. They may see it as multiple
single presses or they may see it only as one single press and then
ignore the rest because the proper delay was not present between these
different singles.

To properly repeat such commands, the transmitter (blasting software
for instance) needs to know the structure of the command. It needs to
know the one time and the repeat sequences to be able to send them the
right amount of times AT the right times.

A description of the format should be included at the top of a properly
learned/written lirc configuration file. There's no guarantee any file
you download has been properly created though.

I have offered Felix full documentation for the Pronto IR format and
any additional information he may need to add support for this into his
software. There are many more remote codes available, and properly
learned, in Pronto long (0000) format than there are lirc config
files.

I'm using a Denon Amp and currently cannot use Volume because the raw
code learned will not repeat properly. The lirc file would not work at
all, though Felix noticed something missing from it and fixed it for me
- I still have to test it.

The only ambiguity in using Pronto commands is the fact there's no
standard for writting multiple commands into a single text file. The
interface for IR Blaster can be changed to accomodate pasting the
pronto command directly into a text box though along with the name
given to that command. I've also previously created a text file format
for storing multiple Pronto commands which I can share.

--
MelonMonkey

Bruno
*'Twisted Melon - Fine Mac OS Software' (http://twistedmelon.com) |
'mira - Personal Control for your Apple Remote'
(http://twistedmelon.com)*