MichaelPr wrote:
> Hi Andrew, I didn't want to convince you... but great that I did ;). I
> see you've put a lot of work with a great result in the plugin and from
> my point of view, the more people read/use it, the better.
>
> Regarding EPG/RDS... that would be the icing on the cake! Do you know
> the webpage of Carsten?
>
> http://www.siski.de/~carsten/radio-streaming-squeezebox.html
>
> That was my starting point before I found your TVH plugin - maybe you
> can pull information out there, sometime in the future for future work.

MichaelPr had written me an email and made me aware of this thread.

Some time ago I had already started to work on the topic "automagic
program overview of tvheadend in Squeezebox". My result is a perl script
which runs as CGI in an apache webserver. It calls the API of tvheadend
and returns an opml file, incl. corresponding links to the station icons
(https://github.com/carsten-gross/lms-dvb-radio-helper, description on
http://www.siski.de/~carsten/radio-streaming-squeezebox.html). I read
all programs tagged as "radio" and support exactly one hierarchy level
of "tags", so the countless radio programs on Astra 19.2E or Hotbird 13E
are mostly separated by country or language region quite sensibly.

My program ts2shout ( https://github.com/carsten-gross/ts2shout) is
"next to it", it can convert a MPEG-TS stream into Shoutcast, depending
on the call parameters either the EPG or RDS (only in MPEG1/2) is used
to pack song titles or broadcast information into the stream. As an
almost classic Unix filter it only has to be called appropriately and
then passes the request via environment variables configurable to
tvheadend. Through Shoutcast you have music track information etc. in
the squeezebox.

In the last days I added some HE-AAC extensions to ts2shout, since
recently the NDR broadcasts radio programs in northern Germany via DVB-T
in this format (also all Persian programs from Iran on Hotbird 13E are
encoded in HE-AACv2 / AAC+).