bpa wrote:

> CD with CD-Text are rare but CD-Text should not be the cause of the
> delay.  I did test with a CD-Text CD.
Yes, very rare (the first I've ever seen and I even didn't know that I
own one - It's not marked) - I just set CDplayer to 'Do not lookup any
CD database' and used 'CD-Text: OASIS DEFINITELY MAYBE by OASIS'/
tmp-CDplayer-CD-TEXT.opml created by CDplayer - Your CD-Text
implementation works! (Tomorrow, I've to give it a try in my car which
has an old CD-Text capable player:) )
bpa wrote:

> CD reading is mainly handled at OS level so VLC will probably be similar
> to cdd2wav on same OS.
>
> In CDplayer context Windows CD handling is crude and CDplayer could only
> use cdda2wav and be less informative about state of CD drive. Handlign
> CD from Windows API is horrible.
Could be! In my case I just talk about a pure Win10 system and VLC - No
LMS/ CDplayer is involved - was just to test the behavior of the
DVD-Drive/ the laser unit

bpa wrote:

> No idea what the Muscibrainz speculation is about - it has nothing do
> with CD handling - IIRC it is just looking up an id based on track
> lengths from info on CD TOC.
Just because you've written about the Internet connection -  and indeed
especially the OASIS CD has many hits in the database (> 10). But at
this point you are also right. Disabling the lookup does not change
anything.

bpa wrote:

> Don't understand pause/play comment. OS and/or CDdrive will cache tracks
> and do readahead to keep disk spinning.
'Pause' with Win10/VLC just stops playing (DVD-Drive keeps disk spinning
on slow speed (guess x1) and 'play' starts playing w/o delay. 'Pause'
with LMS on Linux/CDPlayer stops playing (don't know if the disk kept
spinning) and after 'play' spinning speeds up with max. speed. Then it
takes about 15 sec. to resume at the org. position.
bpa wrote:

> CDplayer is not efficient because cdda2wav is used to find track (e.g.
> skip x secs) and to do control and each time cdda2wavis called, it does
> its own thing - such as reread the disk.
>
> To be efficient - rip the CD.
YES

lms:
version: 8.2.0 - 1616690655 @ thu mar 25 18:15:21 cet 2021
on rpi4/ raspbian buster 10 pointed (nfs) to musiclibrary on qnap ts212

squeeze-players:
duet - cntrl-fw: 8.0.1-r16844/ receiver-fw: 77
2x radio - fw: 8.0.1-r16844
rpi 2b - pcp 7.0.1/ squeezelite  v1.9.9-1372-pcp
transporter - fw: 87
softsqueeze 3.9.2 on win 10 / squeezeplay 8.0.1r1343 on win 10
squeeze player 1.3.21 on s7/android 8.0.0

controller:
android phone - squeezer 2.2.4/ material skin 2.3.5