Apart from the fact of junking 2 previously working pi's,  there appear
to be 2 different pi 3 B+ (526 and 1gb).  A 4 will need a new case with
cooling and a new power supply.

I totally understand your frustration. But I don't understand why you don't help us help you... It's still not clear to me what devices you have. The first you mentioned in your initial posting seemed to be a recent model (armv8 based). Then you said it was a 2, but actually it was a 1st generation B. Now you mention two previously working devices. I'd be more than surprised if 4.4.9 was working on the B. And what's the second one?