Looks like Material is now doing the same as Default Skin - i.e. able to
set podcast feeds as favourite.

Nope. With default skin you can set a subscribed feed (as in -not- a
search result) as a favourite, which you cannot do with Material - as
the URL required to use when storing a favourite is not returned as part
of the list query response.

I committed a change which should get you the URL. In my local testing I was able to add shows to the favorites (not the individual episode). Alas I was not able to navigate them using Material. Might be a minor issue, as it seemed to work in Squeezeplay.

Please give it a try. New builds should be out shortly.