typecrazy789 wrote:
> I've queried about my using the UPnp/DLNA bridge in combination with the
> UPnp/DLNA Renderer in Foobar2000 in order to use the Sqrsoft crossfader.
> When I posted about this last winter I was struggling with only stereo
> FLACs working, and to that extent I finally gave up and just converted
> everything to that format and it more or less works flawlessly, and with
> the bridge stream length set to -1 it will play for days without
> crashing.
>
> But I've noticed really short tracks - 10 seconds or less - will not
> crossfade, and in the bridge on any track that won't fade in the log I
> see:
>
> [14:25:45.100] sq_callback:366 [004C30F0]: next URI gapped (s:1)
> http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:xxxxx/bridge-11.flac
>
> ...where normally there'd be language indicating gapless.
>
> A 10 second track or less will just play normally with no crossfading at
> all; an 11 second track will crossfade at the beginning of the track but
> not the end, and a 12 second track (and longer) works fine
>
> I realize this is most likely a problem with the Renderer, which there's
> no longer support for. I'm not sure what I should be looking for on that
> end; any ideas? If I actually play the same tracks in the same order
> directly in Foobar2k it crossfades perfectly, so I know the crossfader
> is capable, and presume it must be a buffering issue somewhere in the
> chain.
>
> Thanks in advance!

It's that I purposely do not do gapless for short tracks as it causes
issue with state machine sync between LMS and UPnP. Normally UPnP is
supposed to publish events captured by the bridge that synchronizes LMS
based on these. Such events are change of tracks but the issue is that
some players have faulty eventing or don't do it at all (UPnP is just a
CF wrt to compliance to standard).

So I have to do polling at a reasonable rate (1Hz) but then short tracks
create problem in gapless (one playtrack and one waiting track) so I
miss the track change and LMS is stuck. The solution for short tracks is
to not do gapless: send track N, wait for it to end, inform LMS, get
track N+1, send it to player and so on. In gapless, I send track N, as
soon as player has *started it and* consumed it fully (in buffers), I
ask LMS for N+1 and so on.

LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch,
1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW,
2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha
WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3