oshcar wrote:
> there is a change i made recently that i would like your opinion on
> i have the picore on one pi installation -- lms and squeeze on same pi
> i had slow response performance from the LMS gui
> i looked at the boot codes and swap to disc / card was disabled
> i enabled that -- thinking it might benefit lms and i assumed squeeze
> would still write to ram
> after that LMS gui ran much better and i thought i noticed a sound
> improvement
> possible ?

I’m not the maintainer of picore but in general enabling swap is not
going to speed up a system. It might be necessary to make it work, but
by definition you enable ram to be swapped out and in which is a slower
process that if you have everything in ram (see caveat below).

Now, these are complex systems and I can’t talk why the UI seems more
responsive to you, there could have been many reasons like some other
processes not running any more or some processes would be able to
allocate more memory and that would be a better option to have system
swap rather than developer-implemented handling of low memory /
allocation failures.

Now, squeezelite allocates buffers and if allocation fails, squeezelite
will carp. It will not run with degraded performances, it will crash.
The only case where you might have audio issues resulting of cpu
overload is when the rate of sample sent to the DAC is less than
realtime. But we are not talking anymore about sound quality.

LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch,
1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW,
2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha
WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3