philippe_44 wrote:
> I'm going to give you my honest "scientific" response. I have a
> specialization in digital signal processing and information theory
> (grade 12 + 5 years) and 25+ years experience in software development
> and implementation. I'm not bragging or trying to use the "argument of
> authority" because the world is full of people much more knowledgeable
> and intelligent than me, I just want to point out that I take my
> recommendation from a mathematical + theory + experience background.
>
> So, any scientific response always wants to keep and open mind because
> it's a trial and error progress, but we have to think in term of
> probability and plausibility. If you ask me can I be hit by a meteorite,
> the answer is yes but it is *very* unlikely. If you ask me if the earth
> is flat or if the world was created 6000 years ago, the answer is no,
> period and here there no question of "opening my mind". If you ask me
> can a chip sound different depending on how the data is sent, the answer
> is very (very, very) likely no, unless there is something totally broken
> in the design.
>
> And we always try to think about level of impact / importance / risk
> factor. There are so many more important reasons with effect orders of
> magnitude (10^n) more visible. Can CPU activity, network activity have
> an influence? Yes. When we do RF designs where we look at insane level
> of sensitivity (where we have 160dB of coupling loss for commercial
> products, so receiving 10^-17 watts), yes you can be sure that the
> memory bus layout to the main processor and every track can matter but
> even there the progress of chipsets integration and noise immunity has
> been amazing in the past 20+ years. When we do simple audio design, oh
> well, again, it is very very unlikely that there is any impact, unless
> again, the design is totally broken and that's going to blow up in your
> face immediately and all the time. Changing the CPU activity is just
> levels of magnitude less impactful, if any.
>
> I'm not interested in flame wars and discussion on "bits are not bits"
> for the reason I described above, with, but because you candidly asked
> I'm giving you my honest view.

thank you
i appreciate that
i`m just going to make sure i have this running properly
maybe these logs will make me more confident or something and my head
will clear from any biases
what about these buffer sizes ?
lots of wild claims about those out there
i dont think i hear much, if any,  difference there

for someone with a pcm chip that wants the process as clean as can be,
not interested in volume control, equalizers, sox resampling -- any
advice you can give me on these settings would be appreciated