Ever since Microsoft announced a new WebView2 browser component (based
on Edge, which is based on Chromium), I have been considering replacing
the Chromium Embedded Framework with WebView2.  I have been waiting for
the technology to mature enough that at some point I could deploy
Squeezelite-X to use WebView2 instead of including CEF.

The advantages include:

- Reduces overall application size from about 210MB to 18MB by not
  having to deploy CEF browser code.
- Edge Webview2 is managed by the OS and "EverGreen", updated
  separately and automatically as part of the Windows OS, so I would not
  have to worry about CEF updates and complying with certain rules in
  the MS store about CEF currency.
- Edge Webview2 is part of the OS out of the box starting with Windows
  11, and a runtime installer is available for Windows 10 and machines
  that don't have Edge installed.
- My code could be drastically simplified
-

Well, I decided last week to give this a shot and I was pleasantly
surprised to already have it done in a test branch.  Wow, I was really
able to strip out alot of code and simplify things.  I still have to
learn how to properly handle deployment, especially for Win10 machines
that may not have Edge, and so forth, but eventually, I will deploy and
Edge/Webview2 based version of Squeezelite.  I'm really pleased with it
as the interfaces are safer and simpler.  I was worried that, due to
Webview2's simplicity I would not be able to do certain things I need to
do, especially in the areas of Authorization, JavaScript injection,
cookie management, cache management, and localstorage but I was able to
accomplish everything and it was actually much easier than it was with
CEF.

R Greg Dawson

Squeezelite-X