flashpaz wrote:
> Thanks, it is starting to make sense. By further investigating, I also
> realize that by default a host doesn't receive the mDNS multicast
> traffic (IP 224.0.0.251). Typically, a Linux host first have to start
> the avahi-daemon and this triggers a "registration" to tell the whole
> networks "hey, please also send me mDNS queries". I therefore see two
> 1) Have avahi running on the docker host and have the container use
> "host" networking
> 2) Have the container use a dedicated LAN IP (using macvlan or ipvlan
> docker networks) and have avahi running *inside* the container.
>
> I'll make some further tests and report here.
>
> Cheers!

OK, so this took some time.

I haven't been able to get a working docker/mDNS setup with a "sidecar"
avahi container (reflector).

As mentioned, the easiest option is to have the container running with a
dedicated IP on the network. MACVLAN is the de facto option but as it
creates a dedicated MAC address, it doesn't work if the docker host is a
VMware guest with the default security settings, because they forbid MAC
address forgery.

Instead, I went down the IPVLAN route and this works fine.

Also, I have a common backend network between this container and an
haproxy container, because I also want to have the UI on TLS (the
players are still doing plaintext http on port 9000, though).

I created the IPVLAN network with this command:

Code:
--------------------

  docker network create -d ipvlan --subnet a.b.c.0/24 --ip-range a.b.c.64/28
--gateway a.b.c.1 -o parent=eth0 myipvlan

--------------------

And this is my docker-compose file

Code:
--------------------

  version: '3.8'
  services:
  lms:
  image: lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver:stable
  container_name: lms
  restart: unless-stopped
  logging:
  driver: journald
  tag: lms
  volumes:
  - ./config:/config
  - /mnt/music:/music
  - ./playlist:/playlist
  - /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Zurich:/etc/localtime:ro
  environment:
  - PUID=1000
  - PGID=1000
  networks: