Shozzer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Curtesy of Black Friday I took the plunge and purchased a couple of
> Echos (Studio and Dot). I set up the system before the devices arrived
> and carried out some testing via the Alex App. This helped to introduce
> me to the process but there are some limitations.
>
> I have activated both devices and am practicing both playing and
> streaming with pretty good results. I think there are definite
> possibilities for Mrs Shozzer who hasn't really engaged with LMS
> although she will need some coaching. I am considering purchasing an
> Echo Show for Christmas.
>
> I have a fair amount of classical music which present its own
> challenges. Often there are multiple artists. Sometimes the album can be
> identified just by name but sometimes an artist name is required. A
> frequent response is, ‘I need the name of the artist’ and she pauses for
> a response. When you tell her the name of the artist she says ‘Media
> Server can't help you with that - try a valid command or say exit’.
>
> Sometimes she will tell me that I don't have an album by a specified
> artist but I do with another artist and do I want to play that? That
> then works but this is not consistent.
>
> Any suggestions for the above? I suspect that it will need to some tag
> updating on my part to make things easier.
>
> The more fluent one gets the easier I suspect it becomes.
>
> Steve

The issue with classical music is that there are no standardised tag
schemes for all the details so people usually invent their own.
MediaServer just works with AlbumArtist/Band, TrackArtist/Artist, Album,
Title, Genre and Year as tags. Amazon has a long list of 'known' artists
to match against when you say something to Alexa, but not for classical
artists. Alexa doesn't really 'hear' you without context. If you ask her
to tell you a lightbulb joke, she first hears joke and then matches
lightbulb against her joke categories. So there is context. Same with
music. When you ask her to play an album by XXX, from the context of
play combined with album she goes, aha, the XXX must be an artist so
let's check my known-artist list. That list is unfortunately very
unsuited to classical music. The "MediaServer can't help you with that"
is indicative of her not even recognising your artist as being in the
Amazon-curated artist category, otherwise you would have been told "you
have no works by XXX" which is a different message that I generate based
on matching against your library.

So I'm not sure Alexa will ever bring joy to classical lovers, whether
via this skill or otherwise. I'd say your best bet is to tag your albums
so that the match can occur without needing the artist name. The skill
itself uses fuzzy matching, but it can only match against what LMS
returns and LMS unfortunately does not do fuzzy or metaphonic matching.