Spacegrass wrote:
> Hi Phillipe - to answer your questions: 1) this track skipping only
> happens on UPnPBridge players, not on "real" Squeezebox devices (i have
> a Duet and two Radios).  The album folder for "Whiteout" is 49.1 MB and
> track Stereolight is 6.39 MB and track Nursery Rhyme is 6.20 MB. Those
> are MP3 tracks.
> Curiously, after i posted my message, I played a flac album and had no
> skips (it was a different UPnP player - Sonos Arc instead of Naim QB2)
> I attach that log (8 tracks played normally, and i stopped it in track
> 9)
>
> We had a lengthy exchange about this skipping issue between Sept 17 and
> 20 2022 in the "Announce: UPnPBridge ..." thread, which would of course
> have occurred with prior versions of LMS and UPnPBridge - so maybe it is
> a similar issue?  You suggested at that time increasing the buffer size
> in the bridge config file, which did seem to significantly lessen the
> skipping.  Here is one of your posts from then about possible causes:
> "No, I really don't think so. The issue you are having might really be
> due to the antivirus being overly protective of sockets. I've read that
> some people had similar issue with the same antivirus/security suite. I
> don't know how you are familiar with that part of technology, but to
> communicate between the bridge and LMS, a channel must be opened using
> two sockets (IP address and port). There are many complications with
> sockets left open by programs on computers and although it should not be
> the case, there is a risk of exhaustion or security and various solution
> (not always great) have been developed to deal with these problem.
>
> The issue with the bridge is that when it opens a channel with LMS to
> grab the audio data, the transfer is not smooth due to the nature of a
> bridge and the numerous buffering involved (in the bridge and in the
> UPnP player). So typically, the 1st track is very quickly transferred,
> then the beginning of the second starts quickly as well and then...
> streaming might pause for a very long time (might even be almost the
> whole duration of the 1st track). So, for example, some on-line servers
> can't cope with that and assume the link is broken and systematically
> close it. What I'm wondering in your case is if a monitoring application
> of some sort could not force-close such sockets that have a burst of
> activity then *nothing* for minutes. It's not a good behavior, but...
>
> The test I'm asking you to do will ensure that no matter what (at least
> for mp3) the whole track is quickly gobbled by the LMS-to-Bridge side,
> regardless of what happen on the Bridge-to-UPnP side."

Thanks - Meanwhile I've found a interesting pattern that happens every
time there is a failure. I think I understand what happens but not why
it happens, so I'll continue searching

LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch,
1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW,
2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha
WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3