erland;230298 Wrote:
> I've setup a number of different indexes, but I expect that with a
> 4,500,000 row table index can make some things fast but a five time
> join on this table, it is probably impossible to get 1-2 second
> response time independent which index that are used. But if someone are
> good at setting up database index with MySQL, I'm really interesting in
> help regarding this.

I was reading from SQL Unleashed last night and on the topic of index
versus full table scans it mentions the following tradeoffs:
- if you need to retrieve only one or a few rows and they are
identifiable through an index, then an index lookup is likely to be the
most efficient approach
- if you need to retrieve a sizeable portion of a table's rows, a full
table scan is more efficient

The "grey zone" is defined as between 5 - 20% of a table's rows to be
retrieved - below 5% an index will likely perform better and above 20%
the full table scan will perform better. The suggestion is made that
one should test queries in the "grey zone" to ascertain which performs
better having regard to the tables in question.

--
egd

Thecus N5200PRO >> Transporter >> ATC SCA2 >> ATC SCM100SLAT