Yes I did install Mplayer, but now think I may have solved it.

The directions I was following from the "AlienBBC: mplayer on the Mac"
forum were slightly  misleading. It says there are 3 versions of the
Unix Exe file with different names, and to copy the relevant one into
the bin folder and rename it. I did this but couldn't get anything to
work. However I selected Show Package Contents for one of these files
and found mplayer inside the MacOS folder in another Contents folder
which I have since copied over into my bin folder. Therefore I needed
to drill down a bit further and there was no need to rename the file.
There is improvement in the sound now.

There is a little bit of stutter, but I've adjusted my buffer settings
which seem to be a problem and so far it's okay.

Thanks for your help.

--
Surry