bossanova808;260346 Wrote:
> Hmm why would you want to ignore ReplayGain?

1. Because it makes the plugin much easier. Currently VolumeLock code
is only executed when a user tries to change the volume. To take RG
into account, it would have to do some work every time a new song
started. And that's not very clean or easy -- there's a "new song" even
that plugins can register for, but the event fires a few seconds before
the song changes. In SyncOptions, I have the plugin start looking every
few fractions of a second after the new song event fires. It's not very
pretty, and not something I'd want taking server CPU around every song
change.

2. Because, upon further thought, I don't think it makes sense. RG is
applied by the physical device (Squeezebox/Transporter -- I think
Squeezebox 1 and SliMP3 don't support RG). If you have two copies of a
song, one with RG of -2dB and another with RG of -5dB and play them in
order on a player that's using RG, the second song will play 3 dB
quieter even though the player volume doesn't change. What you want is
to cap the volume for a typical track --whether with software like
VolumeLock, or hardware as described below-- and use RG to keep "loud"
tracks from being played louder, and to keep "quiet" tracks from being
lost.

3. If you're using analog outputs (including the headphone jacks), you
should also look at the Preamp Volume Control setting (in the Player >
Audio setting page), too. It applies some specific dB of gain/loss to
all analog output, so you could use this now --without VolumeLock at
all-- to reduce the analog output across the board, allowing you to use
the full range of the regular volume control -- you could even turn it
all the way up to 11 with the web UI. I'd also recommend to you the
wiki articles on line level matching, e.g.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?ConnectToPowerAmp. Using such
physical matching along with analog outs is probably your best way to
be *sure* not to play anything too loud. Remember, VolumeLock and
SlimServer/SqueezeCenter are GPL software, with no warranty. :-)

> I do think a jive/sb interface would be useful but could certainly also
> live with a web only version myself.
>
> I'm happy to help if I can - I may not be useful with perl/development
> unless I get into it a bit, but I can certainly help with testing etc,
> and/or am willing to take on anything else useful you can think of!!

I've already started improving the player UI in 6.5.x (switching to the
normal radio button interface and adding the new "maximum" volume
choice) since I haven't moved my main system to SC7 yet, but I probably
won't bother with a web UI except in the SC7 release -- and I might skip
the web UI if I can easily make a Jive/Controller "choice list" menu.

-Peter

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
free plugins: http://www.tux.org/~peterw/#slim
AllQuiet BlankSaver BottleRocket FuzzyTime SaverSwitcher SleepFade
StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock