It looks like you didn't get the mplayer binary when installing it.

I think you'll need some more specific instruction to get the right
mplayer binary from the distribution.

FRom an old post

> As I remarked earlier, the actual mplayer file is deeply hidden inside
> MPlayer OSX.
>
> Control-click to Show Package Contents.
>
> Go to Contents > Resources > External_Binaries, and you will see an
> item called mplayer.
>
> This still isn't what we want.
>
> Control-click again and once more Show Package Contents. Contents
> contains a folder called MacOS, which in turn contains two Unix files,
> mplayer and mplayer_noaltivec

Try using the mplayer_noaltive version on your system but rename it to
mplayer when you install it into /usr/local/bin and then try to run it
from Terminal.

--
bpa